Her Review: The Harder They Come @ The Canon Theatre

Sunday, August 23, 2009 by Samantha Clarke



I'm so glad I was able to see The Harder They Come while it was here in Toronto. As a Canadian with Jamaican heritage it was refreshing to see a such an iconic story brought to life on stage. My mom and I had a great time at the show. Never before have I felt so involved with what was going on on stage.

Before it all started the cast included the audience as they were filing into their seats. While staying in character, the actors spoke and introduced themselves- a pleasant experience for most I'm sure. Some of the cast were on stage singing and dancing as they celebrated the life of the hero, Ivanhoe Martin. Then at intermission one of the characters announced we had a 15 minute ganja break. Ha-ha! (not literally of course) The ending was another array of songs and the audience then stood and sang and danced along. I've never experienced anything like it in a theater.











I didn't get the chance to watch the famous film starring reggae great Jimmy Cliff prior to attending the play to be able to compare the two, but I hope to watch it soon.

If this play makes it to a city near you I strongly suggest you attend.

Want more? Go ahead and SUBSCRIBE to The Only Number!

1 comments:

Shannon Teresa said...

It's so funny because I had never even heard of this movie then last fall my dad said let's have a movie night, I want to show you one of the greatest movies of all times.

..so he puts in The Harder They Come..

I'm like dad this is the dumbest, non-sense, hand-tarded movie ever! And he's like no when it came out it was cutting edge so to me it will always be a classic!

I wanted to take him to the play now I really wish I did

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work by theonlynumber is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.