His Thoughts: Cool Drunk?

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 by Andre


When did alcoholism become so acceptable? I have been tight lipped about it for quite some time now, but all of that is about to change. I myself have been accused of getting “drunk” and doing dumb stuff. I have even been accused of forgetting just how much of a “fool” I was acting like. Yet, quite simply, not only was it taken as a joke, but it gave me “street cred”.

I am not writing this to scorn anyone that drinks or claim that I never had a drink, or that someone who doesn’t drink is somehow better than someone who does. But, and a big but at that, when did it become “cool”? Why is getting drunk to the point of not remembering days at a time, or losing control of bowel movements, “cool”? Why is it something to do? Have we really come to a stage in life where we are in such a need for a release that getting drunk is an activity?

In my college graduation ceremony; not the last day of class, but at the ceremony itself, people were drunk. Why is that really?

I really don’t get it, and I need to phone a friend. I have been drunk in my life myself and honestly, throwing up is NOT cool. Having a hangover is NOT cool, acting a fool might be funny, and that too is a huge might, but it’s NOT cool. Or maybe it’s just me.

Maybe there’s some kind psychological reason as to why alcoholism and drug-use in general is so recreational and acceptable now. Maybe we do need an escape in these hard times; every night. Maybe unlike in the past, it’s not only for the depressed or sorrowful, or dying, but it’s also for the happy, carefree, “tryna have a good time” people. Maybe I’m socially awkward and won’t get it. Maybe I’m a prude and I’m acting "Brand New"



Maybe, just maybe it will be cool to me one day.

The day when pigs fly.



credits to fanpop.com for the picture

Filed under , having  
Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work by theonlynumber is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.