His Thoughts; I'm way too cool for love

Sunday, June 21, 2009 by Andre


I'm too cool to love

I have seen so much information on ‘Facebook’, I almost know some peoples social security numbers. That certain aspect though; that social faux pas called love, is always a mystery. A person can say so much about what they love that it’s nauseating, but forget, or omit talking about who they truly love.

Now to steal from my favorite TV show ‘Seinfeld’, I too “hate” seeing the schmoopy woopy people. This is life and not the Brady Bunch, so I understand that people are not going to be walking around attached at the lips. But, and a huge but, when did it become a “don’t”, to express love. Public Displays of Affection (so-called PDA’s), are actually an issue in the modern day relationship between people. People are so into not appearing to be sappy, and ‘lovey’, that they leave their relationships undefined and “hidden”. We can fight in public, but God forbid we show affection, right?

We talk about breakups, hookups, flings and things, shoes size to condom size, but if we are asked about someone we love, we get quiet. The most secure, loving, nurturing, playful, and beautiful relationship, is tested by the fear of other people’s perception of a couples love. I have actually heard people argue that the person they are seeing is not to be called their girlfriend/boyfriend; in an attempt to mask the obvious truth that they were in fact past that point of being undefined.

The advent of all these social networks only added another “complication”. I must admit I have always been a black or white person, and I really don’t believe there should be or are any gray areas. This whole “it’s complicated” status, for me, is utter garbage. It either is, or isn’t, no rat races, no complications (I’m straying).
Now people may cry privacy from on top of a mountain but, and again a big but, if the issue is privacy, why do I know your social security number? If you are in fact a private person, you are a private person, period.

It’s amazing how we all can become abstract poetic geniuses in defining our relationship. The Facebook statuses that I’ve seen that are supposed dedications to people we love are both disgraceful, and works of art. Deny it or not, we have become too cool to say I love you. Not too cool for all our vacations to Cabo, and the Caribbean, nor are we too cool to be in a bikini or bareback with our six-pack out. We are figurative, and inventive, finding new codes everyday to keep our love a secret (why say anything at all then?).

I’m way too cool for this PDA and making announcements mess.

Filed under , having  
Bookmark and Share

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so true. I don't know if it's coolness, but it definitely seems as though, its far too personal to talk about someone we love than to talk about other things that are also private to us.

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work by theonlynumber is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.