Her Travel: Summer road trippin' list

Sunday, July 26, 2009 by Samantha Clarke


I'll be hitting the open road with my homeslice in a week's time! Road trips have become a permanent fixture of my summers for more years then I can count. There have been long ones and short ones with lots of funny and slightly frightening stories. I've done it in both a large group and alone, but of these two options I obviously choose the former. Having someone to talk to always beats talking to yourself or talking on the phone.

Anytime I discuss my road travels, people are usually shocked by my "bravery" and will to drive "for such a loooong time". After hearing this from so many different people, I've been inspired to give some insight on what one needs to accomplish a successful road trip.

Traveling for 2 or 20 hours can be mentally and physically exhausting. My longest trip alone so far has been 17 hours. It was supposed to be a 15 hour one, but was delayed by construction and traffic. Either way, I hope this list helps!




  1. GPS: DUH! These gadgets have become more accessible, however, please refrain from buying garbage. My recommendation is Garmin all the way. Remember to update your maps at least once a year to avoid getting lost or being unable to find the new restaurant or attraction you're looking for.

  2. Printed directions and map:For those who haven't crossed over to the wonderful land of GPS, then don't forget your printed directions. Mapquest and Google Maps are exceptional tools and they're free (and .99 cents!) If you choose this route then my suggestion is simple: print 2 copies and keep the second somewhere safe. A friend of mine had her only copy of directions fly right out her window at the beginning of her 1000 mile road trip.

  3. Don't rush: Speeding tickets can put a damper on anyone's road trip fun. Give yourself enough time and be sure to include gas stops and bath room breaks, possible nap times, impromptu outlet mall shopping, or (God forbid) getting lost.

  4. Sunnies: The sun can be especially draining on a long trip and squinting for several hours hurts! Bring some comfortable sunglasses that allow you to see out of the corner of your eyes to check your blindspots.

  5. iPod: Must have your favorite music! But what's even better about having your iPod or other Mp3 device is that you can listen to books, movies, or TV shows. On my last trip the music wasn't enough to keep me going, so I started playing episodes of Seinfled to keep me from falling into ultimate boredom. Listen only, don't watch!

  6. Munchies: Bring some snacks and drinks to fuel your body on the way. I like to bring crunchy things like carrots and crackers. Water is a good drink to have, just try to avoid anything more than a few small sips at a time. You don't want to have to stop alot along the way to use the rest room. I like to bring a small cooler to keep drinks cool. Caffeinated drinks are great for staying alert. My favorite is Starbucks Double Shot drink they're sold EVERYWHERE.

  7. Cell phone and accessories: If you decide to travel alone a charged cell phone will come in handy. You'll be able to call friends and/or call for help if you need it. Make sure you have a car charger and a hands-free device.

  8. Cash and coins: Don't get caught at a toll road with no change. It happened to me once and instead of paying a dollar I had to pay waaaayyy moooore! (I refuse to divulge that information)

  9. Pillow and blanket: It's OK to pull over at a rest stop and CHILL. That's what they're their for! Stay in the lighted areas at night time for your safety.

  10. Camera: I never leave home without it. Sometimes the scenery is breathtaking. Snap a couple pictures while you're on the way.


Did I miss anything? Leave a comment and let me know what works for you. Happy road trippin' everybody!Smileys





Want more? Go ahead and SUBSCRIBE to The Only Number!

Filed under , having  
Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work by theonlynumber is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.