Topic of the Week: Are women destined to be the planners in a relationship?

Sunday, July 5, 2009 by Samantha Clarke



She said: I sure hope not!

But, I’ve seen men relax in the planning department, once they have secured their lady. In the beginning, when men are in the process of courting a woman, they tend to spend extra time finding new and exciting things to do together. For some unknown reason, the roles change after an unsaid amount of time and women end up being the ones that take over planning and organizing activities. This may not be true for every relationship as there are always exceptions to the rule. And men, I am also aware of the fact that women also relax in other areas, but that’s another topic for another week!

The truth is planning takes time. One person, woman or man, shouldn’t have to handle the task alone. Doing your research includes reservations, tickets, addresses and directions, phone numbers, and reviews from other people. If the woman is the only one handling these things plus keeping in mind conflicting schedules, she will not stay happy. She will enjoy it for a little bit, but will start to feel like it’s a chore as opposed to another opportunity to spend time with her man.

It is true that many women, at least the ones I know, are very organized and have the skills necessary to plan a perfect evening, weekend, or complete vacation. However, these skills come from experience; the planning ‘gifts’ are not necessarily ones you’re born with. Men can do it too!

The Internet is your friend. There is a wealth of information available at your fingertips. There are really no excuses that I can think of. If you don’t have access to the Internet, then pull out the phone book and start making calls. Ha-ha! Anything you can think of can be learned about and planned with this tool.

Do you think that women are too picky? Or you don’t know what she’ll enjoy doing? I can’t speak for them all, but I’m pretty sure that someone that cares about you will make an effort to do something outside of their comfort zone and vice versa. I say, alternate the task of organizing date night and different holidays so that it feels like less of a duty and more FUN!

If a woman has to do this by herself, she will lose her mind! Or at least I would.


He said:In a word, yes. In a sentence, I do believe women are destined to be the planners.

Now as much as I am an opinionated guy, I really cannot say I can form an honest opinion about what color or for that matter fabric, my couch should be.

I can’t say that I have honestly ever pictured the setting my perfect date should have, nor have I imagined my wedding day and what the theme would be like.

I can’t say that when I travel to a new place, that I have thought beyond getting there and seeing what it’s like. To be quite honest, my thoughts didn’t stray beyond where I would stay. The rest “would fall in place” as they say.

I can say that every time, and I do mean EVERY time, that I see a movie with that guy that does elaborate planning to surprise his girlfriend, wife or special someone, I wonder exactly what did I miss in my childhood in becoming him.
Now I have done the odd surprise here and there, I have hurt my head in trying to determine just what “she” might like, or like a lot, searching for that perfect gesture. The result has been; hit or miss.

Either she loves the gesture, or loves the thought, but at the same time hates the idea. Women love to picture being wined and dined and swept of their feet, but this very picture, is a picture that they have planned out themselves. You picture a man doing the things that YOU would HOPE he does to sweep you off your feet. It suggests then that women have ideals as to how all things men and women should go.
It suggests then that even in not planning an occasion, women have an idea as to just how it should be planned, and run, and look, in any case.

In defense of all men, it’s not that we don’t plan, but our plans often fall short of the things women take into consideration when planning. For those ladies lucky enough to have that guy (the one that plans down to a tee and never disappoints, you know the one that’s played by a “Di Caprio type”), you should hold onto him like grim death. For the rest of you, aside from the sporadic works of genius, be prepared, you will be the one on the drawing board for a long, long time.

Motto: If you want things done right, you got to do it yourself

Do you agree with what He said or with what She said? Have your say on the Topic of the Week.

Dr3 & Sammy-Jo



Want more? Go ahead and SUBSCRIBE to The Only Number!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Planning together is a lot of fun...it makes the moment more memorable. My boo and I plan together most of the times. It's exciting sharing the responsibility and it's less of a chore when done that way. We do have the occasional individual moments when we surprise each other but most of our rendevouz are mutual efforts....Sometimes we agree on a date, he chooses the venue, we pick each other's oufits, we meet, we have a blast and the rest is sweet history.

Samantha Clarke said...

Awww Rachel!

Sharing the planning also builds anticipation for the event coming up. It's also fun to bounce ideas off of each other to ensure both of your preferences are met.

After all, sharing means caring! :-)

Tryin to be like Rachel man said...

Well Rachel, U sound like you have an exceptional man...EXCEPTIONAL. However, unless a man is a romanticist, he just isn't really gonna go out of his way to plan anything. The are exceptions to the rule (like birthdays, valentines day, and anniversaries) but other than that, a man isn't gonna spend time planning and checking every detail. That just ain't gonna happen. We just don't want to.

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work by theonlynumber is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.