Her Commentary: Serena and Kanye have NO broughtupsy!

Sunday, September 13, 2009 by Samantha Clarke

I should be finishing my readings for class tomorrow, but I really really need to get this out and hear some opinions on this topic.

Since when is it okay to act out? Serena and Kanye both went off this weekend and I'm pretty saddened by the poor judgment they displayed.

Check out Kanye at the VMAs tonight:


**The video has been removed by Youtube**

...and Serena at the US Open:



For those that aren't familiar with the term "brougtupsy" (pronounced bráw tùpsee) let me explain. It's a term describing the way in which a person was raised or the lack of manners they were taught at a young age in a pretty negative way. It's a common West Indian or Caribbean term used to describe someone's lack of tact or common decency. Look it up here.

From what I know of these two and their upbringing, I'm almost certain they were taught better behavior than they displayed in these instances. What kills me is that I am a huge fan of both of them, but I really feel like they could have handled themselves differently. I don't support their behavior and agree with the consequences that may follow.

In Serena's situation her outburst resulted in her losing the opportunity to defend her title in the finals, which is a costly lost on her part. **Update: Did you know she's being fined $10,000 for her "unsportsmanlike conduct" and an additional $500 for "racquet abuse" — she threw her racquet at the end of the first set.** Kanye on the other hand, will most likely continue on with little to no penalty.

Granted, he was right; Beyonce did have the best video, but is that the way to share your opinion? I'm pretty sure they will stop inviting him to the VMAs altogether. (or maybe invite him to everything just to stir the pot?) It was just plain disrespectful! I'm aware that Serena's foot-faults were called throughout the whole tournament; a call rarely made. And I'm also aware that she was in the heat of the game, where there is a chance to lose sight of the decent and professional way of handling a bad call. I've been guilty of screaming obscenities in the middle of a match...Smileys BUT, does that make it OK?

NO!

I do love these two, but they need a swift kick IMO.

What do you think?

*Sam returns to her reading...*


Want more? Go ahead and SUBSCRIBE to The Only Number!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beyonce's video is nowhere near the best video of all time, Thriller is. Kanye is a delusional JACKASS who goes around throwing his little temper tantrums as if he's still a toddler. I wonder if it was a big black man instead of a little white girl if Kanye would have dared to try that shit. F**k kanye and everything that he stands for. For quite sometime he has been producing a sea of garbage for people to listen to, and because peplople buy his shit he thinks he's king. I remember him even saying that he is this generation's Tupac. What a c**t. Also if it was some random person besides Kanye that did that security would be all over his ass.
I think Kanye truly wants to be a diva, either that or he has narcissistic personality disorder.

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work by theonlynumber is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.